Small town restaurants...

I'm on a mission to point out the good, the bad and the downright yucky of small town Alberta restaurants.

Thursday, February 17, 2011

KINH Vietnemese Restaurant, Olds


It used to be the dark & skanky bar called "The Signature Club"... and now it's a Vietnemese restaurant?!?  What a shocker!

Just to the south of The Brick on main street in Olds, you'll find a delicious place to stop for lunch or supper!  And what a fresh change - it's not pizza, hamburgers, or even Chinese food.... it's Vietnemese!

I first discovered KINH at the teachers' PD day in Olds. A bunch of us decided to try it out for lunch and since then, I've been back a number of times!  I'd like to tell you about two different dishes...

Lemongrass Chicken on Vermicelli Noodles
Strips of chicken in a light sauce, sitting on top of finely chopped lettuce, cucumber, carrot, sprouts and rice vermicelli noodles.  Oh, and it comes with 2 deep fried spring rolls.  The chicken is nicely seasoned.  I love the crunch of the sprouts mixed with the softness of the noodles.  I can eat the whole bowl (which is huge, by the way) and not feel disgustingly full.  It's so fresh and light, yet delicious.  It comes with a light sauce which I pour over the whole thing.  It's not spicy, but if you'd like some "zip", try adding some red sauce (on the table).

Chicken/Beef Curry on Rice/Noodles
Okay, it's 4:30pm and my mouth is watering just thinking about these dishes!  I might have to drive to Olds after I'm done typing these blogs!!  I prefer the chicken curry on rice, but Blaine prefers the beef curry on noodles - just mix and match according to your preferences.  The chicken/beef is tender and comes in a thick curry sauce with some peppers, onions and yams.  Pour the whole thing over your rice/noodles and then dig in!  Mmmmm.... the yams are so soft and the veggies are still slightly crunchy.  And there's just enough heat so that my nose starts running just a little bit.  This one is more filling than the lemongrass dish and it's definitely spicier.

Oh, and try the Vietnemese coffee... it's strong and very sweet, all poured over ice.  I can't wait to have one on a hot July day!

Summary
ambiance - informal, okay (the washrooms need an update)
value - excellent!  (about $12 for a huge plate/bowl of food)
flavour - excellent! (*drool, drool* I'm seriously going to drive to Olds now!)

One note of caution - minors aren't allowed.  They must still have it licensed as a bar.  :(
What does KINH mean?  Click here.

(credit: http://bambooatasteofasia.com/vermicelli_noodles)

6 comments:

  1. Theres a vietnamese restaurant in Olds??? This is great news! I have been living here over a year and had no idea! We are going out for supper tonight! Thanks for the tip Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you better be able to back up your comments

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd better be able to back up my comments? What is that supposed to mean? I'm merely sharing my opinion about local restaurants. I'd offer a full money-back guarantee, but... it's just a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the post Kim. I LOVE Vietnamese food and I am looking forward to trying them out. Also thanks for the tip about no minors. That kind'a sucks, but it would suck even more if I got the kids excited to try a new place, just to have to take them somewhere else because they were not allowed in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We just went today and minors were allowed now.

    Mmmm spring rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm thanks to your blog I found this gem! It was great - I'll be back again soon :)

    ReplyDelete