Small town restaurants...

I'm on a mission to point out the good, the bad and the downright yucky of small town Alberta restaurants.

Friday, February 18, 2011

The Swamp Donkey!, Sundre

Ahhh... the Swamp Donk!  My husband and I first met at this small town pub on December 14, 2008.  He was drinking long island iced teas (ha ha!) with his riggin' coworker and I was drinking beer with my teachin' buddy.  But, it's been recently renovated - new menu and all and so I figured it was time for a restaurant review!

Half of the establishment used to be a restaurant - but no more!  It's a full-fledged pub now, no minors allowed!  Downstairs is the "pool hall" and upstairs the "sports pub".  It's not too different, just fresh, clean and slightly updated.

After a long week, I was again having some beer with some teacher friends of mine. I was hungry and tired... was it my over-hunger or was it the beer that made my spicy chicken burger taste SO GOOD? A spicy breaded and deep-fried chicken breast, a nice spicy mayo, a crunchy bun, cheese, lettuce, and tomato.  It was super-yummy!  And I love that you can order any sandwiches or lunch items with a side of veggies and dip... it makes for a slightly more healthy meal.

Most of the menu items are the same as before, but I think there are a lot of good options on the menu.  My only complaint is that most of the food is deep fried or drenched in cheese.  It's hard to watch your waistline at the Swamp Donk, but it's easy to watch people (and perhaps find a husband-to-be?)!

No picture this time, sorry.  I was too busy drinking my Bud Lite Lime!


Summary
ambiance - energetic, fun, love the log cabin look
value - a bit pricy  (the appetizers seem too expensive, but everything else is reasonable)
flavour - excellent! (because I was extra hungry or a bit tipsy?)
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment