Small town restaurants...

I'm on a mission to point out the good, the bad and the downright yucky of small town Alberta restaurants.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Piros, Sundre Alberta

February 7th has been the beginning of three great things in my life so far: my life (yup, it's my birthday), my engagement to my now-husband, and now... my food blogging!  Blaine and I went out for dinner for my birthday last night and we chose Piros in Sundre. Usually quite a busy place, it is a popular spot for families and the grey-haired crowd.  The menu is huge - ranging from pizza (nice, spicy sauce) to steak (nicely cooked) to my personal favourite - Greek specialties!  The chicken souvlaki (seen above) is a full plate of heaping Greekness (is that a word?)!  The tzaziki sauce is delicious and the chicken is tender and perfectly cooked.  There is plenty of feta cheese in the greek salad!  However, if you're counting calories, I have some suggestions.... First, ask for a styrofoam carry-out dish (or be environmentally friendly and bring your own) and take half of it home for lunch tomorrow!  Second, get the salad dressing for your greek salad "on the side"!  What can I say, the chef really likes his olive oil!  One major flaw I found... the house red wine tasted like vinegar.  I think the glass I got was from an old bottle that's been left open for at least a few days.

Summary
ambiance - fair (very open area, it could use a reno)
value - great (plenty of food for the price!)
flavour - great (delicious, well seasoned, well cooked)

No comments:

Post a Comment