Small town restaurants...

I'm on a mission to point out the good, the bad and the downright yucky of small town Alberta restaurants.

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Mountain View Music Festival, Carstairs

Living in Victoria for 5 years, you kind of get accustomed to weekend music festivals and folk fests and the like.  Central Alberta doesn't host too many outdoor music festivals, but Carstairs does a really good job at their annual Mountain View Music Festival!

Apparently, Food Trucks are all the rage lately and who can't resist some greasy food out of a truck on a hot day anyways?  Blaine ordered up a plate of perogies....


The fried onions and bacon were a huge hit, but the perogies not so much.  But there is an explanation... it's because he's been fed deep fried EVERYTHING for the past 2 weeks (at work on the rigs - see earlier post).  We ended up switching and I really enjoyed the perogies, actually!  Crunchy on the outside and nice and cheesy on the inside!  A perfect match for the folk music on-stage, somehow.


I originally had ordered the Beef on a Bun.  I asked for BBQ sauce on mine and it was TASTY!  Nice, thick cuts of real home-cooked coast beef on a crunchy kaiser bun!  It even came with a tomato and lettuce (I opted out on the lettuce option).  I had a couple of bites before I switched with Blaine for his perogies and it was good.  It would have been better with some fried onions and peppers in some bbq sauce, but still... the homecooked beef was tasty!


And all of this in a perfect setting.  Blue sky, good music, fresh green grass and a blanket.  It brought out the true hippie inside of me.


Summary
ambiance - green grass, blue sky, great music - you can't beat that!  A++
value - a suggested donation of $20 per person plus the $5 per meal. Not bad, considering you're getting the entertainment as well.  I always feel good about supporting the arts.
flavour - mmmmm, yummy!

2 comments:

  1. aaaannnnddd... the food from the Tikka stand was absolutely yummylishous! Best Indian food I've had in awhile.. and a local restaraunt as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're totally right about the Tikka stand! I saw someone else with a plateful and it looked delicious! I definitely plan on checking out the Tikka House in Carstairs soon!

    ReplyDelete