Small town restaurants...

I'm on a mission to point out the good, the bad and the downright yucky of small town Alberta restaurants.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Black Forest Bakery, Olds

There's a fairly new bakery in Olds, on main street.  Its name is "Kim's Favourite New Place"... ahem, I mean "Black Forest Bakery"!


My friend and I walked in and couldn't believe how large it was inside!  Plenty of tables, nice and open, bright and cheery!

Bratwurst, schnitzel and cinnamon buns! A perfect combination?  Somehow, it works!



Being that it was late morning, it wasn't time for wiener schnitzel, but it was definitely good timing for a fancy coffee and a pastry!  What would you have chosen from the above selection?

My friend decided on a chai latte and a giant apple cinnamon bun!



 Notice how the cinnamon bun takes up the WHOLE PLATE and it was only $2.50!  Sweet (literally) deal!The outside layer looked nice and crunchy and it was topped with caramel drizzle, white icing, baked apples and walnuts. About halfway through the bun, my friend commented that she was experiencing a sugar high! She found the nucleus to be especially sweet and was kind enough to offer me a bite. Oh dude, was it ever good!

My only critique was that the cashier didn't heat up the cinnamon bun. It would have been extra ooey-gooey delicious if it had been warmed.

As for me, I chose a mocha and a slice of apple strudel.



My mocha was good and fancy-looking and my strudel was warmed up with whipped cream.  I should have taken a picture of the strudel from the side because it was layered THICK with delicious baked apples.  And yes, my mocha/strudel combination resulted in a nice sugar high for myself!



Did I say the place was big?  Yes.  Around the corner from the main seating area is a "European Market". They have about 4 shelf units filled with some typical European grocery goods.  My friend picked up a good-sized jar of antipasto for $3!

Summary
ambiance - fresh, clean, bright, open, large!
value - fantastic! ($2.50 for a huge cinnamon bun, sweet deal!)
flavour - sweet and delicious!

Has anyone been to the Black Forest Bakery for lunch?  Have you tried their lunch buffet or the schnitzel?  If so, please comment below!

6 comments:

  1. I have been there for lunch twice - first time did not know about the buffet so had eaten breakfast and just ordered a sandwich - it was delicious but how could it not be with the fresh ingredients and homemade bread!! Second time I went for lunch I skipped breakfast! Can't remember everything that was on the buffet that day but I do remember the schnitzel was very good and that you could get Kutchen for dessert! It was wonderful and I plan to head back there the next time I travel to Olds - but will again skip breakfast!!
    I would also like to say that I enjoy your blog. As a relative newcomer to the area and a Big City transplant I appreciate the reviews of local eating areas. Since moving to the area we try to "buy" local but it can be difficult if you have no idea where to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kim:)
    Just came across your blog! I definitely need to check out the Black Forest Bakery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm liking your reviews. I have a new one in Olds to try. Believe it or not...it's the Legion. They have a lovely young couple who know good food, healthy alternatives. I've heard he did not want to cook fries, but the clientele still likes those along with his savory selections. The beef used is Avonwood beef, that is sold at our Farmer's market. Good stuff. I'd like to see your take on a fresh look at Legion fare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm addicted to their cinnamon rolls. Since I live down the street from the Bakery, I often run over for a fresh loaf of bread on Saturday mornings. Great staff too! One of my favorite places to eat in Olds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm... Sounds like the lunch is worth checking out. Thanks for the heads up, CountryGal! The Legion, hey? Perhaps I'll take my dad out for a Sunday dad-and-daughter Sunday lunch, Anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kim, Your blog is really good.I am glad to see reviews on places that are not fast food. I have a recommdtion that you try Grannie Jacks. They are located accross from Centinal Park. I got married there and the food is awesome. They have a differnt lunch special every day. My husband is a picky Gus even loves it.We need mre places like the ones you blog about in town.

    ReplyDelete