Small town restaurants...

I'm on a mission to point out the good, the bad and the downright yucky of small town Alberta restaurants.

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Trendies in Sundre - updated menu!

In my opinion, one of the few drawbacks of living in a small town is the lack of choice when it comes to restaurants.  Take Sundre for example: one Greek place, one Chinese, a couple "family restaurants", a pub, two coffee shops, a Subway and an A&W.  That's about it.  So... I was quite pleased to find a new and updated menu at Trendies

One of my recent favourite side dishes has been yam fries!  My husband and I first discovered them over a year ago at a restaurant in Calgary....mmmm, yam fries with spicy chipotle dip!  But order them in Sundre?  No chance.

Until now!  :)


I ordered a chicken burger with a side of yam fries.  The burger was served on a ciabatta bun (how gourmet for Sundre!) and the yam fries were just how I like them - crispy and delicious!  My only disappointment?  No spicy dipping sauce for the fries.  But I eventually asked my server about it and she brought me some.  Yay!





Two of my other favs at Trendies...

1) the foccaccia bread that they serve alongside their salads!  Lightly salted and spiced, so yummy.
2) their pizza!  Yes, their is a new pizza joint in town (Canadian Pizza Unlimited), but I maintain that Trendies has the best pizza in Sundre for one reason: their sauce!  Although considerably more expensive, it is more delicious.

Overall...

I really like Trendies new and improved menu.  Everything that our group of 4 ate was delicious, but... I'd like to see more efficient service.  I've been there a couple of times where I've had to wait 45 + minutes for my food, which I find really frustrating.  Also, I'd like to see them renovate so it's not quite so open and small-town feeling.  :)

Summary
ambiance - fail! Open-concept, too bright, small-town feeling, very slow service
value - good! Very reasonable, I think.
flavour - great!  I love the new and improved menu!  Keep it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment